The W. T. Bland Public Library has planned several programs dealing with writing and poetry for the month of April:
- Memoir Writing with Christina Giordano – Monday, April 13 at 2:00pm and Thursday, April 16 at 10:30am Free
- Brown Bag Business Writing with Christina Giordano that will include resume writing on Monday, April 27 at 12:00 Noon and Thursday, April 30 at !2:00 Noon
- Poetry Under the Oaks – Saturday, April 19 from 11:00am to 1:00pm – bring a lunch and listen to poetry under the library’s oak trees. Come to read or come to listen.
- Writers’ Café – special program – the Orlando Poetry Group will give a performance reading of poetry at 7:00pm on Tuesday, April 28th .
Our Brown Bag Book Talk group will continue to meet on the 3rd Tuesdays of the month through June – Tuesday, April, 21, Tuesday, May 19; and Tuesday, June 23. We will take the months of July and August off and commence again on Tuesday, September 15.
Our monthly Writers’ Café will continue to meet on the 4th or last Tuesdays of the month throughout the summer: Tuesday, April 28; Tuesday, May 26; Tuesday, June 23; Tuesday, July 28; Tuesday, August 25.
The economy and finding a job is on everyone’s mind these days. To help those looking for a job, the W. T. Bland Public Library has partnered with our local ( Leesburg) Goodwill Self Sufficiency Job Center to bring their Help Wanted: Employability Skills Seminar:
- Thursday, April 9 at 10:30am – English
- Friday, April 10 at 10:30am – Spanish
- Thursday, May 7 at 10:30am – English
- Thursday, May 7 at 2:00pm – Spanish
If you are interested in starting your own business, then come on Wednesday, April; 22 at 11:45 to our Brown Bag Lunch Seminar: “How to Start Your Own Business”
Our Classic Film series will continue on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month during the summer starting at 7:00pm. It’s free and that includes popcorn and lemonade. Contact the Library for the names of the films.
The last Florida Lake Symphony Orchestra Prelude for this season will be Thursday, April 23 at 5:30pm.
Why should the children have all the fun with the Youth Summer Reading Program. So the Library will be having their first Adult Summer Reading Program built around the them of “Be Creative @ Your Library”. There will be weekly giveaways at a series of films about famous artists plus a chance to win an Ipod shuffle. Look for more information in May.
To honor our Vietnam veterans, Charlene Edwards a photographer and author will have a photography exhibit entitled “Voices from Vietnam” during the month of May. On Wednesday, May 20 at 7:00pm, she will give a book talk and signing on her book also entitled “Voices from Vietnam”.
The Annual writing contest will feature cash prizes for short stories and poetry only this year. The contest will run from Friday, May 1 to Monday, August 31 with an award ceremony in November. The contest rules will be available later in April.