I can’t believe the Festival of Reading is behind us for another year. The Festival brought so many of our favorite authors, and some new ones, to Lake County. Julie England from the UF Extension Office made some outstanding recipes using fresh herbs at our library and Jeff Lamb returned to talk about his progress in his second movie, “Save the Gator Queen”. We were jumping with all of the excitement here!
Now that we have quieted down and took a little rest, we can start to look forward to summer and the Summer Reading Program, “Dream Big…Read”. Beginning June 12th, children can come to the library to sign up for the program. For six wonderful weeks, we will keep the children motivated to read by seeing some of the most popular entertainment in this field like Katie Adams, Scott Humston and Mike Carnavale. We will even do some Country Line Dancing with Christine Bass and her dance group with a special visit by “Baby Cow” from Chick-Fil-a to help put the show on.
Our weekly activities at the library will continue during the summer and a few new ones will be added like the “Friday Afternoon Movie”. This event will take place every Friday beginning June 22nd and run through July 27th at 2:00 pm.
• Story time will continue every Wednesday morning at 10:30.
• The second Thursday of every month brings the PAWS Therapy Dogs and their handlers to the library. They keep the children happy as they continue to support literacy and help with accumulating Accelerated Reading Points as the children read to the dogs. A craft is included with this program.
• The Mahjongg group continues to meet in the Community Room every Wednesday afternoon from 12:00 – 3:00 pm.
• The Chess Club meets every Monday from 3:00-6:00 pm and every Wednesday from 3:00 – 5:00 pm.
• If you are interested in playing Scrabble, call the library at 352-360-6561. We’re trying to get a group together.
Please continue to utilize your library. If you don’t use them, you’ll loose them.