Staff at the W. T. Bland Public Library invites you to join us for a season of exciting and informative programs.
• AARP 55 Alive - registration required (fee of $10)
o Monday - October 6 & Wednesday, October 8- 9:00am-1:00pm
o Monday - November 10 & Wednesday, November 12 - 9:00am-1:00pm
o Monday - December 1 & Wednesday, December 3 - 9:00am-1:00pm
• Classic Film Series – free; every 2nd & 4th Wednesday of the month; starts at 7:00pm. Due to a licensing agreement, we cannot list the titles of the film. Please call 735-7180 option 5 to learn the title of the films being shown. FREE
o Wednesday, October 8 and Wednesday, Oct 22 movie is canceled due to Early Voting
o Wednesday, November 12 and Wednesday, November 26 is canceled due to closing early for Thanksgiving
o Wednesday, December 10 and Wednesday, December 24 is canceled due to closing early for Christmas Eve
• Cyber School @ the Library - if you are interested in learning about how to use a computer then start @ the Library. We offer very basic courses in Introduction to the Computer, Word Processing, the Internet and E-mail. Sign up for the courses at the Circulation Desk. FREE
• Chess Club - 1st & 3rd Saturdays of the month 10:00am – 12:00pm. For all ages and skill levels. FREE
• Brown Bag Book Talk – FREE (bring your lunch; the Library supplies dessert and coffee or tea) – now on the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Ruth Blake is back!!
o Tuesday, October 21 -"Inside Out Girl" by Tish Cohen
o Tuesday, November 18 - "The Matchmaker of Perigord" by Julia Stuart
o Tuesday, December 16 - Stories of the Season": Rediscover favorite Christmas tales perfect for gift-giving or sharing with your family this holiday season.
• Art Exhibits @ the Library are in the Library’s gallery located in the Mount Dora Community Trust Community Room:
o October – Open
o November – ‘Arts in the Air” – see the banners by Mount Dora artists close up before the Arts in the Air gala auction on December 12 at the Mount Dora Center for the Arts at 6:00pm
o December – Employee Art Exhibit
• Writer’s Café – a monthly get together for local writers, poets and listeners to share their work – 4th Tuesdays at 7:00pm
o Tuesday, October 28
o Tuesday, November 25
o Tuesday, December 23
• Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra Preludes – a series of talks by Guy Saint-Clair who shares his musical insights on the upcoming Florida Lakes Symphony Orchestra Concerts:
o Thursday, October 16 (at the Library) - “Good Ol’ Souls” – for concert Thursday, October 23 at 7:30pm (at Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church)
o Thursday, December 11 (at the Library) – “Special Christmas Concert” – for concert Thursday, December 18 at 7:30pm (at Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church)
• Adult/Senior Scrabble Club – every Wednesday starting February 6 from 10:00am to Noon
• Early Voting @ the Library – open to any Lake County registered voters – starts Monday, October 20 through Saturday, November 2. Hours are 9am to 5:00pm Monday thru Saturday. No voting on Sunday.
• 2008 Plant and Garden Fair – Saturday, November 4 and Sunday, November 5 at Simpson Cove (Gilbert park) from 8:00 to 5:00pm – sponsored by the Mount Dora Library Association – free admission – One of the prettiest festivals in Mount Dora – great prices on plants and flowers. FREE
• The Dangerous Women Tour with Betty Jean Steinshouer – Wednesday, Nov. 12 at 2:00pm. FREE but tickets required and will be available starting Monday, October 27.
• All American Heroes Day – Saturday, November 15 from 10:00am to 1:00pm. Come and meet your local heroes – Mount Dora Police and Fire Department, Lake County Sheriff’s Department and the U. S. Secret Service. Have your child fingerprinted as part of the “Operation Safe Kid” program. FREE
• Food for Fines: For the month of December, the Library will have a Food for Fines drive. If you have overdue materials, you may pay off your fine by donating canned goods, pet food, cleaning supplies, paper goods, and new clothes and toys for children. All items donated will go to the “Adopt a Child or Two” program sponsored by the Mount Dora Post Office. The food for Fines campaign will cover current and existing overdue fines (less than $25 and less than 90 days overdue) for library materials but not for charges for lost or missing books. If you have questions, call the Circulation Desk at 735-7180.
• Library Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony – Wednesday, December 3 at 4:00pm – join us in admiring the handmade ornaments on the Library’s Christmas Tree; Santa will return once again to kindle the lights on our Christmas tree and hand out treats to all. Then enjoy holiday cookies and punch and hot apple cider in the Library’s Community Room. FREE This year we ask that you share Christmas with our animal companions by bringing pet food, towels, blankets, cleaning supplies, etc that will be donated to local animal relief agencies.
• Library Hanukkah Celebration – Wednesday, December 10 at 4:00pm - learn about the customs, games and foods associated with the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah. FREE
• W.T. Bland Public Library Advisory Board Meetings – are open to the public. Every 2nd Monday at 4:30pm September through May:
o Monday, October 13
o Monday, November 10
o Monday, December 8
• Veteran’s Day – Tuesday, November 11
• Thanksgiving Holiday – close at 6:00pm on Wednesday, November 26, closed Thursday, November 27, Friday, November 28, Saturday November 29 and Sunday, November 30.
• Christmas Eve – Wednesday, December 24 – close at 5:00pm
• Christmas –Thursday, December 25.
The W. T. Bland Public Library hours are Monday, Thursday and Friday – 10:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m.; Tuesday and Wednesday – 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.; Saturday –10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Sunday – closed. The Library is located at 1995 N. Donnelly Street. The phone numbers are 735-7180:
• Option 5 for the Circulation Department
• Option 6 for the Reference Department
• Option 7 for the Children's Department
• Press 0 to speak to a library staff member at any time
Please note that we are always adding programs so please check with the W. T. Bland Public Library in Mount Dora at (352) 735-7180 Option 5 for the latest information.