The Lake County Library System is proud to announce that several of our 2009 Festival of Reading authors are recipients of Florida Book Awards.
- In 2006, the Gold Medal went to James O. Born for Escape Clause the third book in the FDLE agent Bill Tasker series. Agent Tasker’s boss is worried about the stress he’s been under, but he has a solution. The governor wants somebody from the outside to take a look into an inmate homicide at Manatee Correctional Prison, and the boss figures he can do the state a favor and give Tasker a break at the same time. Some break.
- In 2007 Cynthia Barnett won the Gold medal for Best Nonfiction for Mirage: Florida and the Vanishing Water of the Eastern U.S. Part investigative journalism, part environmental history, Mirage shows how the eastern half of the nation – historically so wet that early settlers predicted it would never even need irrigation – has squandered so much of its abundant fresh water that it now faces shortages and conflicts once unique to the arid West.
- The 2007 Silver Medal winner was Bruce Hunt for Florida Then & Now. Bruce found the original locations of, and re-shot, 130 historic Florida photographs spanning a hundred years from the 1870s to the 1970s. He chronicles the histories of the places and the changes that have occurred there.
- The Bronze Medal went to Bill Belleville for his Losing it All to Sprawl, a book documenting the loss of community, neighborliness, connection with the land, wetlands, potable water, wildlife, and native plants.
- Bronze Medals were also awarded for Popular Fiction to Mary Anna Evans for Effigies, the continuation of her mystery series about archaeologist Fay Longchamp and Joe Wolf Mantooth. In this book they have traveled to Neshoba County, Mississippi, to help excavate a site near Nanih Waiya, the sacred mound where tradition says the Choctaw nation was born. The conflict results in murder.
Bob Morris won a bronze medal for Bermuda Schwartz, the third in his island- based Zack Chasteen series. Among the shipwreck-laden reefs that rim Bermuda, a young scuba diver makes a fatal discovery: a treasure more valuable than gold—one that some people are willing to kill for…