The following is a list of programs taking place July through September 2013.
Golf Brain-Aerobics – Thinking & Swing: Saturday, July 27 at 11:00am; Fun activities that uniquely integrate golf, thinking and social skills and golf history. Activities include a mini golf clinic stressing basic fundamentals, storytelling. Book signing with author Ramona Harriett – A Missing Link in History; The Journey of African-Americans in Golf. The program is designed for a diverse audience from young juniors to ‘young’ seniors. Door prizes and light refreshments.
Lunch with a Groundbreaker –each Tuesday in July at Noon – bring a sandwich and the Library will provide a dessert and drinks. Quality films from the Biography, A&E and History channels are shown:
• Tuesday. July 2 – Margaret Mitchell
• Tuesday. July 9 – Jesse Owens
• Tuesday. July 16 – Female movers an d shakers from the 60’s
• Tuesday. July 23 – Whitney Young
• Tuesday. July 30 – Carl Sandburg
These programs are part of our Adult Summer Reading Program; an extra chance to win a Kindle Fire will be given to people attending.
Adult Summer Reading Program – each Wednesday in July starting July 10; times of the programs vary:
• Wednesday, July 10 – Patrick Smith’s Florida; a Sense of Place at 2:00pm – a DVD will be shown
• Wednesday, July 17 – Square Foot Gardening with Steve Earls at 4:00pm
• Wednesday, July 24 - Beautiful Butterfly Gardens with Brooke Moffis at 2:00pm
• Wednesday, July 31 – Florida Favors: 500 Years of Eating Local with Julie England at 2:00pm
An extra chance to win a Kindle Fire will be given to people attending.
Children’s Summer Reading Program: FREE – all are PG; FREE movies and popcorn
• Family Movies – Tuesdays in July at 2:00pm
• Special Thursday Performances at 2:00pm at the Mount Dora Community Building
• Thursday, July 11 – Finn & Fiona
• Thursday, July 18 – Karen Climer’s Crazy Balloon Show
• Thursday, July 25 – Scott Humston
• Dig Into Reading Activity Hour – Fridays in July at 10:30am – Grades K-5 only; first 50 children; activities include stepping stones, butterfly gardening creep crawly creatures and more.
Chess Club – meets 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month from 10am to Noon – all ages welcome
Knit ‘Knight’ – 2nd & 4th Tuesdays at 6:30pm – all ages and abilities are welcome; those who crochet are welcome also – meets in the Children’s Program Room.
Classic Film Series – the 2nd & 4th Wednesday nights at 7:00pm – FREE and includes popcorn
• July 10th & July 24th
• August14th & 28th
• September11th & 25th
Writers Café: - the last Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm- includes all types of literature – short stories, novels, poetry, etc. Read your work and get feedback from fellow authors Come to listen or come to read and meet local writers and lovers of all things literary.
AARP 55 Alive - registration required (fee of $10)
o Monday,Aug 5 & Wednesday, August 7 - 9am – 1:00pm
o Monday, September 9 & Wednesday, September 11 - 9am – 1:00pm
SHINE – 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month from1:00 – 3:00pm – have questions about Medicare; need help with Medicare enrollment; trying to choose a supplemental plan; trained volunteers will help you.
Beatle Beat Again – a Fundraising Concert: on Saturday – Saturday, September 28 at 7:00pm in the Mount Dora Community Building. Admission: $15.00. Presented by the Mount Dora Library Association. Tickets can be purchased on-line at www.mountdoralibrary.com or at the Library, the Mount Dora Chamber of Commerce or Uncle Al’s Time Capsule.
Read to Win – all age levels: read books or listen to audio books; ask for an entry form when you check out books with your library card. You may enter once per day.
• Children – ages K thru 5th Grade – chance to win a book bag filled with gifts weekly for 6 weeks
• Teen – grand prize a Kindle Fire tablet – ages 12 thru18 years old to enter
• Adult – grand prize – a Kindle Fire tablet – 19 years and older