Easy Nails for Valentines and St. Patricks Day
Nail polish is a fun way to celebrate the holidays. Before you do the steps in any of these tutorials make sure to file your nails and lay down a base coat. You can do all your nails in a design or just one as an accent nail. Hav fun with it, don't be afraid to experiment!
Matte and gloss black French tips
1. Apply 2 thin coats of a matte black polish. (There are top coats available that will give any polish a matte finish.) Let thoroughly dry.
2. Position an adhesive guide strip leaving about 1/4 inch (or more) nail exposed above the strip.
3. Use either a black nail polish or top coat to paint the exposed nail. Paint in the direction of the red arrows. Before the paint is dry, slow and steadily pull guide strip off starting on one side.
4. Let completely dry. Do not use a top coat, it will ruin the matte effect.
Red Hot Nails
1. Apply 2 thin coats of a bright red nail polish.
2. While the 2nd coat is still a little tacky, use a makeup sponge to apply red glitter, heavy in the top third using less in the middle and none on the bottom third of the nail.
3. Seal it all in with a top coat.
1. Apply 2 coats of a flesh or nude nail polish. Let dry.
2. Using a small brush paint a line of black nail polish across nail near the top.
3. Paint 2 triangles facing each other, meeting in the middle. Add 2 curvy lines from center of triangles. Let dry.
4. Optional using toothpick, make a dot of gold glitter polish in center of bowtie.
5. Apply top coat and let dry.
1. Apply 2 coats of a steel grey nail polish. Let dry.
2. Cut the end of a makeup sponge off, then cut it into a heart shape.
3. Pour a small amount of pink nail polish onto a paper towel. Dip the heart sponge into the nail polish and dab onto paper to remove excess polish then stamp nail with the sponge. Let dry.
4. Apply top coat and let dry.
Get your glitter on
1. Make two piles of glitter, one green and on gold.
2. Apply a clear coat, while it is still tacky use a makeup sponge to pat in green glitter all over nail.
3. Using makeup sponge pat in gold glitter heavy on the top third of the nail.
4. Top coat and ley dry.
Dotty French Tips
1. Position guide strip 1/4 inch (or more) from top of nails.
2. Paint the tips white, painting in the direction of the arrows.
3. Before the white paint dries remove the guide strip, starting from one side pull off slow and steady. Let dry.
4. Using a toothpick place dots of green nail polish along edge of white nail polish. Let dry.
5. Apply top coat and let dry.
1. Position a guide strip across the nail.
2. Use a light green to paint the bottom part of the nail, and use a darker green on the top.
3. Before the polish dries, remove the guiding strip pulling slow and steady in one direction. Let dry.
4. Add top coat and let dry
1. Apply a coat of clear nail polish.
2. Position jeweled decal.
3. Add top coat and let dry.
Some nail art titles available in the Lake County Library System:
Nails, nails, nails! : 25 creative DIY nail art projects by Madeline Poole
DIY Nail Art : 75 creative nail art designs by Catherine Rodgers
Creative Nail Art for the Crafty Fashionista by Mary Meinking